Ajax pillar drill.

1. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Morning guys.
    I am watching a huge Ajax gear head pillar drill.. now it 3 phase. I no there been other posts on different forums regarding 3 phase to single phase conversion. Even if the motor can be swapped for a new single phase motor. What about the internal wiring.. I would sooner spend money getting it converted than buy a new one... at least it would never brake.

2. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

Inverter, is your best route. Though how easy depends on if it can be run as 220V 3 phase or 415 3 phase only without modding the windings.

I think @Maker might have dabbled in this

Maker likes this.
  3. Richiew Tungsten Sharpener

If you prefer you could just buy a replacement single phase motor and wire it through a DOL starter like this. starter.jpg

I am no electrics wiz but I fitted one to my drill, the motor was already single phase but the control wiring was shot when I bought it. The motor ran all the time once plugged in at the wall. You can mount the stop/starter in a convenient accessible place for when you need to stop the drill in a hurry. No need to worry about the original internal wiring, just disconnect and leave in place in case you want to restore back to original at a later date.

I think the cost of an inverter against a new motor and starter is pretty similar. Assuming the original motor and wiring is still good. The three phase motor would be smoother. Either option would be simple to do so don't let it put you off. Get the drill bought.

spencer 427 likes this.
  4. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Yes.. it's worth the hassle getting it sorted..a new drill of that size would be big money. Only downside is it's weight and size...its a monster..but I have got the wants for it now. It will take a 40mm drill..

5. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

The thing to watch as this is a gear head is the motor directly coupled to the gearbox?

spencer 427 likes this.
  6. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Not sure . I will post a picture.

7. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

With my lathe, there is a box under the tray with electrics:

[​IMG]

I am going to junk the whole thing, run the 3ph motor off a transformer and a vfd. I've disconnected the gear shift starter, it'll all be done by the vfd when I get it, and I will make a control board to mount them on

spencer 427 likes this.
  8. Richiew Tungsten Sharpener

I don't think so Chris. I have seen the one that I think Spencer is talking about. It's just a pulley arrangement from the motor to the cogs. I have a geared head drill with variable power feed and all it requires is a glorified on off switch. Pulleys and levers control everything else.

9. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

20170813_082858.jpg 20170813_082840.jpg 20170813_082928.jpg Ok. This is the drill I am watching. You have probably seen it if you hunt every page as I do on ebay

indy4x likes this.
  10. Richiew Tungsten Sharpener

I was looking at a smaller ajax near me. Ignore my last post. I still reckon it should be levers and pulleys. Looking at that I would be tempted to go down the inverter route though. It would be simplest.

11. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

If thats the same machine ok then, with some the motor sits directly on top of the gearbox, this make a single phase motor selection a little more complicated as you need to match the flange dimensions and may need a longer shaft of non standard diameter.

12. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Just seen your post yes inverter may be better all depends what the motor shaft is.

13. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I run 3 phase around my workshop from a Boost energy converter. All the 3 phase machines then just run as they were designed. If you have just got the drill with the 1 motor then a VFD is the way to go. If you are planning multiple machines, some with more than one motor than I''d consider a Boost energy converter instead of a VFD for each motor.

14. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

The trouble I have is my little workshop just runs off of a standard house 13 amp supply. I can get 32 amp supply up there. But 3 phase is out of question. I looked in to it before. Only way for me to get 3 phase is with a very large generator. And they are big money.. so regards to the drill is it possible to be converted one way or another...

15. Richiew Tungsten Sharpener

I think Chris is right about the motor being directly coupled. I cant see a pulley cover to remove to alter any belts. It all looks very "one piece" after the motor.

16. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

That's what I was thinking...but it's a nice drill. And a big drill to..moving it will be a mission.

17. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Yes its ok. Very worst case scenario you machine the appropriate shaft that sits where the motor was but with a plate and bearing with the shaft passing through with a pulley on top. Then fit the single phase motor with another pulley and belt running a 1:1 ratio.

eLuSiVeMiTe and spencer 427 like this.
  18. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

That's a good idea...didnt thi k of that..have mailed the guy asking more information.

19. Maker

Maker Krombopulos Michael

That's a nice drill.:D

You might find it's a dual voltage motor, in which case it's simple to power it from an inverter and this has the added bonus that you can control the speed more finely (Though motors lose torque when they run slower so I'd still use the gearbox and try to keep the motor's speed high).

If it's only 415v it is possible to dismantle it, dig out the end of the windings and rewire it for 230v, as Mr Fuzzy says, I've tried it but I muddled the wired up so it's sitting on a shelf in bits until I ask a tame sparky what he thinks.;) It will still be 3 phase and need an inverter, but you can run all your 3 phase motors off it, they're great.:D

Failing that, it shouldn't be hard to replace the motor with a single phase one. A skilled fabricator such as yourself wouldn't struggle to make an L shaped bracket to hold a foot mount motor if a face mount one isn't available, you may need someone with a lathe to make up an extension for the shaft (Wink nudge;)).

The other option would be a 415v inverter like Brewdexta got, but they're price:scared:.

mrfuzzy and spencer 427 like this.
  20. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Awesome...i haves mailed the seller...will wait and see if he replys. Then I will be on it...happy days.

Advertisements