Right, I've been following many people on here because let's face it, sometimes it's just more fun than doing your own jobs. However, I've finally begun to sort out the things that need doing - nothing like an imminent deadline to focus the mind! In a nutshell, I foolishly cut a piece out of the chassis of my truck. It's 4mm thick steel. I have a Clarke 151TE. I have argoshield. I have all the tools. I set myself up...(for failure)... I've had the welder a few years and have used it in the past to make some welds but last night, a 30 min job turned into 2 hours as I tried to find the problem. I thought some simple butt welds would be a good start but alas, the welder wasn't happy... I changed the shroud and the tip but then I read the manual and had a look at the wire: Not so good eh? So, I luckily had some 0.8mm wire laying around and learned how to change that around and got the welder working. The very next weld: I was very pleased but that was it for the night so I decided to attack it again today. So, the section missing from the chassis is 55mm x 70mm approx and measures 4mm thick. I got a piece from a local engineering place and cut it to size as well as putting in a v on each side of the weld, ready to go... And the piece fitted, magnet and all... I decided to practice a bit more before messing up my chassis. This was my second attempt. I thought it looked OK but it didn't go all the way through it would appear. I tried again.. Weld looked OK on the top... But again, didn't seem to penetrate... see next post.