ABAC B3800 100L 3 HP AIR COMPRESSOR

1. Tony-D-1976 New Member

Good Morning Forum,

I have acquired an Abac 100L 3hp belt driven air compressor which has a faulty pressure switch.
    It also has a 3 phase electric motor on it which is of no use to me as I only have single phase at home, is there anyone out there that might be able to help with either rewiring in a way that the current motor could be rewired to work on single phase or if anyone might have an old motor kicking about that the may want to sell.
    I have found a couple of 2hp electric motors on flea bay but i don't think there quite big enough any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tony

• motor.JPG
  2. Tony-D-1976 New Member

upload_2018-2-13_6-35-16.png

• upload_2018-2-13_6-34-49.png
  3. daleyd

daleyd Member

There’s a couple of things you could try...

Source a 3 Hp single phase motor - as you say, in its current state a 2 Hp motor won’t be man enough

You could possibly try gearing it down, in order that the 2 Hp motor would turn it - that would mean sourcing a motor and different size pulleys so may not be the easiest solution, plus you’d lose a bit in the way of performance.

You could try a 2.2 kw inverter, giving 3 phase our from single phase in. I’ve heard some people saying inverters don’t work that well on a compressor, I can’t say I’ve ever tried it myself but I would think as long as the unloader valve is ok it “should” (!!) work.

Tony-D-1976 likes this.
  4. Parm

Parm I only give advice if I know

I’ve got the baby brother to your one. A 3hp motor will be required and also check the non return valve, they have a habit of going wrong which in turn can knock out the pressure switch

Look up ABAC on the internet, they are based in Bicester, keep a wide range of spares and very helpful

Tony-D-1976 and daleyd like this.
  5. Tony-D-1976 New Member

i think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order a new motor, is worth me buying something with a bigger horse power if I'm going new?

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

it was fitted with a 3hp so that will be ok

Advertisements