2 quick questions about a lid for a beginner please...

1. The Viking New Member

Hi guys.
    Just starting out and getting all my stuff together and need a bit of advice please.
    Thinking about this helmet.....
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262507322365

So, 2 questions....
    1 - is this a reasonable/sensible choice for a 50 quid budget?
    2 - my melon is on the large side. Am I likely to have problems getting it to fit?

Cheers.

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

I bought that exact same one and found the headband a bit tight.

It was to replace my bruised and battered ebay £20 one that has served me perfectly for six years.

The Parweld does feel better quality (not by a great deal though) and in all honesty I don't notice any difference in vision quality when welding, plus because the headband is a tad too tight I usually end up going back to the cheapie.

3. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

Go to your local welding shop/ supplier and try one on.

4. The Viking New Member

I think that's a plan.
    Just need to find one now. I thought that'd be easy but I'm struggling to find a local shop listed near me, Mansfield/Chesterfield area.

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

My £30 eBay job does a good job for my occasional use/needs - good sized viewing screen and my head isn't exactly what you'd term 'mini'.....:ashamed:

6. There are several in the Mansfield area, just google welding supplies in Mansfield and see which are the closest. Lidl were selling them the other week, screwfix. Cromwell tools, m/mart all do helmets.

7. The Viking New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I can get the clarke and sealey helmets from a few places, but the screens look small compared with that on the parweld one.
    I looks as though Cromwell sell the parweld mask, so I'll pop in before work on Monday.
    Shame as I'm picking up my welder this afternoon hopefully.

8. The Viking New Member

Advertisements