1050 vs 5083..

1. smashweld Member

From what I understand 5083 is stronger (tensile) but will break easier when bent?
    What are they like when welded?
    Its to go on thw corner of a truck body so will be some vibration/flex

2. AndersK Member

1050 remains very ductile. I use that on sheet metal when welds need to be flush and planished. On 1,5 mm sheet you can hammer a weld completely flat without grinding and it won't crack. Not that it would be good practise but I tried once just to see how ductile it was.

smashweld likes this.
  3. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

1050 is very soft so if you need even a reasonable amount of rigidity then it is probably not the best choice.

smashweld and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. smashweld Member

hey Hood...since you're here! Got a Parweld 202...the start and finish amps is displayed and set as amps, but in the manual it says it is shown as a percentage. Is there any way to change it or have I got the wrong end of the stick!
    Also...had a few tingles through the rod a few times with the HF start when the rod got stuck in the pool...well, when I was trying to unstick it I felt it! normal?

cheers

5. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

It has been a while since I messed with them to be honest but I think it is set in Amps rather than %.
    You shouldn't get HF when you are welding but you will get a tingle if you touch the tungsten with the filler but it will just be normal welding current rather than the HF.

smashweld likes this.
  6. Richard.

Richard. Member

1050 is commercially pure aluminium
    It’s un alloyed and there for doesn’t have the strength the alloyed grades offer.
    However it’s a very useful grade to fabricate as sheet metal. It’s extremely workable and doesn’t require heat treatment even with sharp bends.
    Folded and worked into a fuel tank or panels it can be absolutely perfect. It can be strong if it’s strength is put into the fabrication design. I’ve made a couple of tanks out of 1050 and they have been very rigid constructions.

7. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I agree the construction can be rigid but it will still be easily dented when compared to say 5083.

smashweld likes this.
  8. Richard.

Richard. Member

Yes it’s a workable grade of aluminium. The point of it is it’s easily formed.
    That’s it’s advantage.
    It can be made into a strong fabrication but only by design.

smashweld likes this.
  9. smashweld Member

that makes sense...it would have been the tungsten touching the filler!

being easily dented isn't something I had really thought about, worth considering.

I want to get some sheet folded, then cut and shape the end like this...would 3mm 5083 be easy enough to form?

IMG_20180314_094048.jpg

10. Richard.

Richard. Member

Yes you can form 5083 but usually you get one shot and tight radius’s will crack with out first heat treatment.
    What you show above might probably be ok but I wouldn’t go tighter. It will take some force to bend 5083 3mm gage like that.
    3mm 1050 isn’t going to dent and fail without a considerable amount of force. We are worried about nothing here. It’s not cardboard. I don’t see why either grade at a reduced 2mm gage would not be suited to do what you show in the pic.

11. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I agree, if it is a small section like that then 1050 would likely be fine and much much easier to bend.

12. smashweld Member

13. Richard.

Richard. Member

Don’t forget your bend allowance. You won’t get 125 if you bend 250 down the middle.
    If your bend is gonna be sharp 5*** grade alu will crack unless you anneal it first.

smashweld likes this.
  14. smashweld Member

It won't be me folding it ..i just send them the required dimensions but I did see min radius for 'shate' mentioned. I think all the thicker sheets they call 'shate'
    Also think you get 1050 for 3mm sheet unless u state otherwise

Advertisements